When things may be getting a litle 'out of hand' this simple activity that involves breathing and paying attention, will calm your in no time.
How to set up this activity:
- Have your child sit quietly and take a few slow, deep breaths.
- Place a piece of paper and pencil on the table in front of your child. Depending on their age, you can put out coloured pencils or crayons for this activity.
- Have them stretch out their fingers on one hand.
- With the other hand, slowly trace around your thumb. - - Instruct them to breathe in as they trace up one side of the thumb, and breathe out as they trace down the other side.
- Do the same for the other four fingers, tracing up and breathing in, tracing down and breathing out.
Switch hands and do it again. This time, pause slightly at the top and bottom of each finger.