Sensory bins are always a great opportunity for toddlers to play and grow. Use the Halloween holiday to create a fun and creative sensory bin for your young children to have fun.
Dying the Rice:
Step one is to dye the rice orange. This is easy, this takes no more than 1 minute to do.
- To dye rice, dump white rice in a plastic bag. Add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar for every 1 cup of rice.
- Add in the desired about of food coloring and shake, shake, shake!
- Pour the rice out onto a cookie sheet and let it dry at least 3 hours.
Assembling the Sensory Bin:
- In a large bin, put the dyed rice and spread out
- Add in spiders, eyeballs and other themed plastic items
- Set the bin on the floor or table and let your toddlers have fun.
- To create more of a structured activity, give your children tongs and have them pick up each item (spiders, eyes, bones) and put them in bowls or jars.
- Once all items have been sorted, you can use the items in the jars as a counting activity.
- Afterwards, you can pour all items back in the bin, and allow them free time play, providing scoops, etc and let them have fun!