What you will need:
- Pumpkins - mini or full size
- Glue - craft glue Small sponge or paint brush
- Paper plate
- Decorations- Items found in nature, but you could use whatever you have on hand from your pantry or even your craft bin.
Examples of decorations: Dried corn, Feathers, Rice, Dried beans, Dried coloured pasta, Black sesame seeds, Bird seed, Preserved leaves
This festive pumpkin decorating activity for children young and old is easy and it will keep your children busy for a long time. Some would say the best part is that you don't have to worry about the mess of carving the pumpkin!
You can go on a nature walk with your children and use items from your walk, or you can open your cupboard and find a variety of items in your own home.
How to assemble:
- Step 1: Set up your work station. If you are using your table indoors, cover with a plastic table cover. Set out bowls of each decoration in front of your children.
- Step 2: Pour some craft glue on a paper plate and provide your children with a foam brush or paint brush for spreading.
- Step 3: Using brushes, apply a layer of glue on a portion of the pumpkin and start to glue the decorations onto the pumpkin surface.
This craft has a lot of teaching benefits for children like fine motor skills and patterning.