- 1 package Double Chocolate Milano cookies
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 16 pairs of candy eyes
NOTE: Tips for white chocolate
- When using the microwave to melt the chocolate chips, be sure to use microwave-safe (glass) bowls instead of using plastic or melamine.
- Chocolate can burn while melting in the microwave, it is important to melt in intervals to avoid burning. Remember that the chocolate will continue to melt even after removing it after from microwave.
- White chocolate hardens very quickly so it is important to work quickly when pressing the edible eyes into the cookies.
- If the chocolate starts to harden while you are coating the mummy cookies, return to microwave it for another 5-10 seconds. If the chocolate is too thick and not going on smoothly, add a little bit more vegetable oil.
Using store bought Milano cookies and melted chocolate, makes this recipe easy to set up for your children to create and then enjoy!
How to Assemble:
- Step 1: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the cookies from the package and place in an even layer on the lined sheet pan. Place in the freezer while melting the chocolate.
- Step 2: In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the white chocolate chips and vegetable oil. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir for 15-20 seconds, and microwave for another 25 seconds. Stir until melted or return to the microwave for 10-15 more seconds. This will ensure that the chocolate does not burn.
- Step 3: Working quickly because white chocolate will harden quickly. Holding the cookie in one hand and holding a spoon in the other hand, spoon the melted chocolate over the top 2/3rds of the cookies. Spooning chocolate over the cookie instead of dipping it works better for this treat. (Dipping the cookies causes the chocolate from the center of the Milano to melt into the white chocolate creating an off colored chocolate.) Once the chocolate has been spooned over the cookie, tap the cookie on the edge of the bowl a few times. Then scrape the bottom of the cookie on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate from the bottom of the cookie.
- Step 4: Place the chocolate coated cookies to the lined baking sheet and allow to completely dry. Make sure the remaining chocolate is still completely melted, if its hardened at all melt it for 10-15 seconds in the microwave. Using a spatula scrape the remaining white chocolate to a small plastic bag and cut off the tip with scissors. Pipe the melted white chocolate over the cookies to form the "bandages" of the mummy.
- Step 5: Working quickly, Secure 2 candy eyes on the wet chocolate. Let cookies fully harden and enjoy! We like these mummy cookies best chilled (straight out of the fridge).