Before you get started, you can brainstorm ideas of what to make during the competition (our family came up with: LEGO brick, m&m’s, heart, write your name, freestyle, lightbulb, and for the highly skilled an NBB logo!)
1) Make a pancake batter as directed (double the recipe for 2–3 competitors).
2) Divide the batter into small bowls for colouring. Add food colouring to the small bowls to create whatever colours you like.
If using liquid food colouring it may be best to make a slightly thicker batter, as to get a more vibrant colour you may need to use a larger amount.
3) Fill zippered sandwich bags with each coloured pancake batter, remove as much air as possible and seal well. Snip off one corner and voila, you have a squeeze “bottle”.
4) Set up frying pans or electric griddled and get cooking!
5) You can determine judging criteria in advance and have a designated judge. Also, be prepared for some clean-up. We used a plate to rest the bags in between rounds.
Good luck and have fun
This activity is brought to you by Camp Northland, an overnight camp based in Haliburton, Ontario with a 100+ year tradition of creating memorable summer experiences for children and teenagers from Southern Ontario.