How to assemble:
- Mix one part flour with one part of water (eg, 1 cup flour and 1 cup water, or 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water) until you get a thick glue-like consistency. Add a bit more water if it's too thick.
- Mix well with a spoon to get rid of all the lumps. If you find you are getting lumps in your glue, you can use a small kitchen electric mixer to remove all the lumps.
- Add a few tablespoons of salt to the final mixture to help prevent mold.
NOTES FOR PAPER MACHE PROJECTS:
- You need to use strips of newspaper only, or even paper tissues or towels.
- Let the newspaper strips soak in the paper mache glue a little before using.
- Cover your artwork with only 2-3 layers, then let dry completely. This is an important step.
- Once a layer is dry you can add 2-3 more layers, remembering to let each layer dry before adding the next one.
- The final layer can be plain paper - so it's easier to paint - but use the thinnest paper possible and make sure it's soaked well in the paper mache glue.