1) Blow your balloon up a little - do not tie but keep it inflated the best you can- (ask sibling or parent to help)
2) Pinch balloon at the top so that air can't be released but leave room for the funnel
3) Place a funnel inside the opening of the balloon while still pinching the balloon closed. You may need help securing the funnel inside the balloon. Don’t worry if your balloon deflates a little, which tends to happen during this step.
4) Fill the top of the funnel with cornstarch using your free hand (or, enlist a helper). It works best to add a small amount of cornstarch at a time.
5) Carefully replace the air with the cornstarch and slowly let go where you are pinching at the top - if you let go too quickly you will spill all the cornstarch into the air
6) Once filled - squeeze excess air from the top and tie the balloon tightly and decorate it with sharpies!
This activity is brought to you by Camp Northland, an overnight camp based in Haliburton, Ontario with a 100+ year tradition of creating memorable summer experiences for children and teenagers from Southern Ontario.