Kids will love this egg-carton critters craft, including cute caterpillars and lovely ladybugs.
What you will need:
- 1 egg carton; tempera/craft paint (red, green, black); paintbrushes; glue; googly eyes; pipe cleaners (black and brown); white tissue paper; craft needle or push pin; scissors; markers; hot-glue gun, tissue paper (optional).
How to assemble: Bugs can be made from one egg cup or from several cups cut in a row.
- Cut off the top of the carton, leaving just the bottom.
- Separate individual egg cups or cut two or three egg cups in a row.
- Paint the outside of the cups with solid colours. Paint a few individual egg cups red to create single lady bugs, paint two cups black to create beetles, or paint three cups green to make a caterpillar.
- Once the paint has dried, use markers to add details (such as dots and lines). Then glue two googly eyes to the front of an egg cup of each color for the head, and cut different lengths of pipe cleaners to use for legs or antennae.
- Use a craft needle or a pushpin to punch holes in the cups where you want to insert the pipe cleaners.
- Thread the pipe cleaners and secure the ends by bending or twisting them inside the cup. You can also cut wings out of tissue paper and hot-glue them to the finished bugs.