What you need:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed hard candy (Jolly Ranchers or similar)
Chanukah themed cookie cutters and a small circle cutter for the centre cut out.
Festive, fun and colourful, this cookie can be made for any holiday, using different cookie cutters.
A premade cookie dough mix can be used or you can follow the recipe below for your cookies.
How to assemble:
- Step 1: Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and and vanilla extract.
- Step 2: in a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to the butter and cream together. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Step 3: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick.
- Step 4: Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Cut a small circle in the middle of each shape with a smaller cookie cutter.
- Step 5: Place shapes on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for five minutes.
- Step 6: Remove from oven and carefully spoon 1/2 teaspoon of crushed hard candy into the centre of each cookie. Return to oven for four or five minutes additional baking.
- Step 7: Cool on baking sheet and transfer to cooling rack.
Plate and serve!