What you will need:
- 9 cups of mini marshmallows (divided)
- 12 tbsp. salted butter (divided)
- 12 cups Rice Krispie or other puffed rice cereal
- Food coloring in Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple
*gel food colouring is best, a little goes a long way and it is very vibrant
Live your life in colour should apply to food as well, right? We here at Backyard Camp think so, and have found this colourful twist to the traditional krispie treat.
How to assemble:
- Step 1: Butter the inside of a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Step 2: Place 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows in a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1.5-2 minutes, until butter is melted and marshmallows are soft. Check part way through to avoid burning.
- Step 3: Add your first food color (the traditional rainbow order is: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) and whisk together quickly.
- Step 4: Fold in 2 cups rice cereal.
- Step 5: Spread mixture into the bottom of your prepared baking dish, using a greased spatula to spread. A piece of wax paper to help spread the layers flat without a sticky mess.
- Step 6: Repeat steps 2-5 for the remaining colors of the rainbow.
When all the layers are prepared, allow to cool. Then cut into squares for serving.
This will bring a smile to your children's face and maybe become their favourite version of this treat.